Where we've been

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's been a long while since my last post, I want this blog to be about things of significance to our lives. It's not that we've been lacking in substance lately, I guess I just haven't known what to say or how to say it. I apologize in advance for the lack of interesting photos and island adventure stories this time..

John and I have experienced a lot of change in the last few months: some of our closest friends left the island unexpectedly, we got to spend New Years with family and dear friends on the farm in Salem, and just tonight we've made the decision to drastically change our diet.

I haven't really mentioned it on the blog, mostly because I didn't want this to become an outlet for my complaints. The truth is- since August my health has been progressively declining. I've seen a myriad of doctors for my symptoms and after a lot of blood tests and vitamins I'm only continuing to feel worse. Last week I saw a new doctor- A natropath who offered some insight. He took what I hope will be the last blood test for a very long time. The blood was sent to a lab in Florida that will be examined against 115 different foods. The results of the test will show what my body specifically finds to be toxic. Through the course of a several month elimination diet of those 'toxic' foods, I'll begin a new diet- specific to foods that my body doesn't react negatively to. This means we will be cooking all of our meals from home and many of them from fresh ingredients. Although it will be very time consuming, we are looking forward to taking control of our health- to be more intentional about what we eat and where it comes from. The results from the test will take about a month to process, so in the meantime we have decided to start eating a paleo diet (not exclusively for John.) The paleo diet, sometimes referred to as the caveman diet is basically meat, fruits, and vegetables. We'll be cutting dairy, gluten, soy, and unnatural sugars. For the most part I'm excited for learning new recipes and finding some relief from the pain and exhaustion (hopefully) but I'm also pretty bummed that I won't be having sushi for quite a while.

I don't want to get too text heavy with this post, so I'll leave it at that for now. I hope to be posting more soon, but I don't want to set all of these guidelines that I feel obligated to fulfill. I'll post when we've got things worth sharing. We look forward to whatever 2012 may bring.

-Rach

1 comment:

KK said...

It may not seem an "interesting" thing to blog about, but I for one am very interested to know how this change will affect things for you! Praying it offers some relief, and I pray you see it as yet another adventure to embark upon together. :)

Post a Comment