Memories Of Japan

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Last weekend John and I visited the Byodo-In Japanese Temple on the windward side of the island. 
The temples site was situated at the back a cemetery just below one of the mountain ranges. Everything was so beautiful and lush.
 
Being there made so many good memories from my time in Japan come rushing back. I'm so thankful for the opportunity I had to travel during college. Had I not had that experience, I'm not sure if I would have mentally been able to up and move half way across the world. Yes we are still "In America" but the culture is so varied here that, at times, it feels like we live in another country. 
 
The entire grounds the temples was on were beautiful. John and I enjoyed exploring the different areas- he spent some time sketching inside and I just walked the paths near the pond. I love that there was a somberness both in and out of the temple. There's something to be said for architecture that can set the mood for the activities within it. Such a great place for reflection.


No comments:

Post a Comment